The Great Grimaldi

on Friday, October 13, 2006
As promised yesterday, here's a preview of a new comic I'm working on. It's a six page story written by Ed Berridge and drawn by yours truly, in the usually hideous style. This story called "Viva Grimaldi!" is going to be a part of the small press UK comics anthology entitled "Freedom", an exciting project initiated by Christine Harper .
This is my first collaboration with another writer since 1998, and it has proven to be really good and challenging. Ed described this story (based on a dream he had) as "Eraserhead with clown" and that was enough to make me interested in doing it. It's a surreal, nightmarish and slightly disturbing story about the seedy middle aged clown, down on his luck.



What you see here is the nearly definitive version of page one, with just several small interventions left to be done. And that's all I'm going to show now... for the rest, you'll have to order the "Freedom" anthology. There's no firm release date at the moment, and I guess the anthology will be out before the end of this year. More info about this project will be posted on Christine Harper's blog , and here, in the nearest future.

8 comments:

M.Pheuz said...

Gee that clown is awesome! The face and the socks and everything... I just told Steffi (arschblog) two days ago that I like clowns portrayed as they really are: creepy, scary, deeply disturbing. I posted one myself some time ago - he's nothing compared to yours quality-wise, but he loves misspelled german cheese. I also love the monkey in the suit and the messy room. And in case you missed my last comment (i just read you're very busy doodling up great stuff like this, so...), I also posted some of my crummy caricatures, I'd like to read your comment.
RIIIIIDIIIII, PAGLIAAAAAACCIOOO.....

Hammerson said...

Thanks! I posted a comment about your caricatures yesterday. It's on your blog... haven't you seen it? That clown you did was really scary and threatening... I love it. I made an evil clown story several years ago, and it's somewhere on this blog. If it's not on the main page, check the archive, I think it was posted in August. The clown in this new story isn't evil, just the atmosphere is really creepy and dreamlike.

M.Pheuz said...

oh! sorry, i had 0 comments displayed but when i clicked on it now it all showed up!

Ed said...

I love that dirty clown!

Hammerson said...

>>oh! sorry, i had 0 comments displayed but when i clicked on it now it all showed up! <<

Yeah, seems that the counter for comments on your blog wasn't showing the correct number. Must be some Blogger bug. I just added another comment... check it out.

M.Pheuz said...

>>I made an evil clown story several years ago, and it's somewhere on this blog. If it's not on the main page, check the archive, I think it was posted in August.<<
1st of August, the insane clown - i love it!!! interesting panel constructon

Moore & Reppion said...

Fantastic stuff.

Hammerson said...

Thanks!